History is more than just talking about the past. It is about:
- Sequencing events and chronology
- Exploring a range and depth of historical knowledge including similarities and differences
- Interpreting history and using different sources of information
- Historical enquiry with different sources of information
- Organisation and communication such as data and investigations .
At Sacred Heart, we follow the National Curriculum and allocate specific skills to history topics in each year group. These topics and skills have been carefully designed so support other areas of the curriculum such as geography, art or DT. Skills are revisited throughout the key stage and are supported by a clear progression of skills so that knowledge and skills are explored at a deeper level enabling children to know more and remember more.
Our History Curriculum is enhanced through other events such as Black History Month, Remembrance Day, International Women's Day and Local and Community History Month. Each class also studies a local history topic so that children gain a better understanding of their local area and what has influenced change.